North Uist United Vs Southend – Match Report

North Uist United 3 Southend 1

Southend put us under a fair bit of pressure in the early stages of the derby with their wingers getting a fair bit of joy against us. After creating a few chances they scored after some sloppy defending on our part. This led us to make an early change with Mark MacInnes coming on to replace young Alexander to add some experience to our back line. Neither team really created anything of note in the rest of the half but we could certainly feel the tide beginning to turn in our favour.

We decided to take Andrew on at half time to add some more killer instinct up top to try and capitalise on some of the good football we were playing. We certainly looked more dangerous from the restart and it wasn’t long before we got some reward. Angus MacIntosh pounced on a loose ball in the box to tap the ball in following a dangerous ball in from Calum MacDonald. From this point we were determined to get the three points and kept piling on the pressure. Eventually in the 84th minute we got the breakthrough with a moment of magic from Calum scoring a top corner screamer from 35 yards. Southend went close with a free kick shortly after this but in the 91st minute Andrew made sure of all three points when he beat his defender and got his shot away. The keeper saved but could only parry the ball into the path of the on rushing Andrew who had a tidy finish. 3-1 is how the game finished.

To summarise; it was a rather scrappy and tight game that either team could’ve won but we managed to edge it in the key moments to ensure we got our first points of the season on the board.

MOTM: Mark, he came on against one of the most dangerous opposing players and completely nullified his threat. He gave us all a lesson on how to win the ball hard but fair.

Hopefully we can build some momentum now and keep the positive results coming for the rest of the season. Next game is Saints away on Thursday evening.

Many thanks for your valued support